Brian K. Law, Ph.D.
Research Interest I:
- Corsino, P., Horenstein, N., Ostrov, D., Rowe, T., Law, M., Barrett, A., Aslanidi, G., Cress, W.D., and Law, B., 2009, A novel class of cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitors identified by molecular docking act through a unique mechanism, J. Biol. Chem. 284, 29945-29955
- Prasad, R. C., Wang, X. L., Law, B., Davis, B., Green, G., Boone, B., Sims, L., and Law, M., 2009, Identification of Genes, including the Gene Encoding p27Kip1, Regulated by Serine 276 Phosphorylation of the p65 Subunit of NF-?B, Cancer Letters, 275, 139-149
- Cozar-Castellano, I., Harb, G., Selk, K., Takane, K., Vasavada, R., Sicari, B., Law, B., Zhang, P., Scott, D., Fiaschi-Taesch, N., and Stewart, A., 2008, Lessons from the First Comprehensive Molecular Characterization of Cell Cycle Control in Rodent Insulinoma Cell lines, Diabetes, 57, 3065-3068
- McConnell, J., Gomez, R., McCorvey, L., Law, B., and Wadzinski, B., 2007, Identification of a PP2A interacting protein that functions as a negative regulator of phosphatase activity in the ATM/ATR signaling pathway, Oncogene, 26, 6021-6030
- Corsino, P., Davis, B., Law, M., Chytil, A., Forrester, E., Nørgaard, P., Teoh, N., and Law, B., 2007, Tumors initiated by constitutive Cdk2 activation exhibit TGFβ resistance and acquire paracrine mitogenic stimulation during progression, Cancer Res., 67, 3135-3144
- Taesch, N., Sicari, B., Ubriani, K., Bigatel, T., Takane, K., Cozar-Castellano, I., Bisello, A., Law, B., and Stewart, A., 2006, Cellular Mechanism Through Which Parathyroid Hormone-Related Protein Induces Proliferation in Arterial Smooth Muscle Cells, Circ Res., 99, 933-942
- Law, M., Forrester, E., Chytil, A., Corsino, P., Green, G., Davis, B., Rowe, T., andLaw, B., 2006, Rapamycin disrupts Cyclin/Cdk/p21/PCNA complexes and Cyclin D1 reverses rapamycin action by stabilizing these complexes, Cancer Res., 66, 1070-1080
- Chytil, C., Waltner-Law, M., West, R., Aakre, M., and Law, B., 2004, Construction of a Cyclin D1-Cdk2 fusion protein to model the biological functions of Cyclin D1/Cdk2 Complexes, J. Biol. Chem., 279, 47688-47698.
Research Interest II:
The mechanisms promoting breast cancer invasion and metastasisE-cadherin are the primary barriers preventing the invasion and metastasis of human carcinomas; therefore, their functions must be abrogated in epithelial cancers in order for tumor dissemination to occur. E-cadherin expression can be blocked by epigenetic silencing, but our results indicate that the loss of the E-cadherin protein function is highly prevalent among the most aggressive breast cancers. We have discovered that the protein, Cub Domain-Containing Protein 1 (CDCP1), that has been implicated in tumor invasion and metastasis, is a novel E-cadherin-associated protein. Ongoing studies focus on determining how CDCP1 controls cell-cell adhesion through its association with Cadherins, Catenins, cytoskeletal proteins, and Matrix Metalloproteinases.
- Jahn, S., Law, M., Corsino, P., Parker, N., Pham, K., Davis, B., Lu, J., and Law, B., 2012, An In Vivo Model of Epithelial to Mesenchymal Transition Reveals a Mitogenic Switch, Cancer Letters (In Press)
- Law M., Corsino P., Jahn SC, Davis B., Chen S., Patel B., Pham K., Lu J., Sheppard B., Nørgaard P., Hong J., Higgins P., Kim J.-S., Luesch H., Law B., 2012, Glucocorticoids and histone deacetylase inhibitors cooperate to block the invasiveness of basal-like breast cancer cells through novel mechanisms, Oncogene. 2012 Apr 30. doi: 10.1038/onc.2012.138
- Lin, T., Ponn, A., Hu, X., Law, B., and Lu, J., 2010, Requirement of the Histone Demethylase LSD1 in Snail-mediated Transcriptional repression during Epithelial-Mesenchymal Transition, Oncogene, 29, 4896-4904
- Law, M., Corsino, P., Parker, N., and Law, B., 2010, Identification of a small molecule inhibitor of serine 276 phosphorylation of the p65 subunit of NF?B using in silico molecular docking, Cancer Letters, 291, 217-224
- Corsino, P., Davis, B., Nørgaard, P., Parker, N., Law, M., Dunn, W., and Law, B., 2008, Mammary Tumors Initiated by Constitutive Cdk2 Activation Contain an Invasive Basal-Like Component, Neoplasia, 10, 1240-1252
- Ruan Q., Han S., Jiang W., Boulton M., Chen Z., Law B., Cai J., 2011, aB-Crystallin, an Effector of Unfolded Protein Response, Confers Anti-VEGF Resistance to Breast Cancer via Maintenance of Intracrine VEGF in Endothelial Cells, Mol Cancer Res., 9, 1632-43
- Liu, Y., Salvador, L., Byeon, S., Ying, Y., Kwan, J., Law, B., Hong, J., and Luesch, H., 2010, Anticolon Cancer Activity of Largazole, a Marine-Derived Tunable Histone Deacetylase Inhibitor, JPET, 335, 351-361
- Laughlin, K., Luo, D., Shaw, G., Warrington, K., Law, B., and Harrison, J., 2009, Hematopoietic- and neurologic-expressed sequence 1 (Hn1) depletion in B16.F10 melanoma cells promotes a differentiated phenotype that includes increased melanogenesis and cell cycle arrest, Differentiation 78, 35-44
- Brown, K., Ham, A., Cheng, N., Clark, C., Law, B., Chytil, A., Meller, N., Pietenpol, J., and Moses, H., 2008, Identification of Zizimin1, a Cdc42 GEF, as a Smad2 and Smad3 Associated Protein, J. Cell. Biochem. 105, 596-611
- Shiou, S., Datta, P., Dhawan, P., Law, B., Yingling, J., and Dixon, D., Beauchamp, R., 2006, Smad4-dependent Regulation of Urokinase Plasminogen Activator Secretion and RNA Stability Associated with Invasiveness by Autocrine and Paracrine Transforming Growth Factor-β, J. Biol. Chem., 281, 33971-33981
- O’Rear, L., Longobardi, L., Torello, M., Law, B., Moses, H., Chiarelli, F., and Spagnoli, A., 2005, Signaling Cross-talk between Insulin-like Growth Factor Binding Protein-3 (IGFBP3) and Transforming Growth Factor-β (TGFβ), Journal of Molecular Endocrinology, 34, 723-737