SURF Application Information
Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) Program
Thank you for your interest in the SURF Program at the University of Florida. We are now accepting applications for the 2017 SURF class.
Our SURF Program is designed to give students a research experience that focuses on Pharmacology & Therapeutics and includes both drug discovery and biological therapies. It is an immersive, 10-week program with mentored independent research, course work, and enrichment activities. It is designed to attract students from the state of Florida as well as from across the country.
Undergraduate students accepted into the SURF Program will perform basic research in Pharmacology & Therapeutics while studying interactions between biological systems and chemical agents. Each student will work in the laboratory of an individual member of the faculty. The program also includes weekly discussion sessions with faculty members and current Pharmacology Concentration graduate students on selected topics in Pharmacology & Therapeutics.
Accepted students will gain experience in basic biomedical research, be introduced to the disciplines of Pharmacology & Therapeutics, and have the opportunity to present data in a typical graduate student seminar setting. Each summer intern will receive a $4,000 stipend. Assistance with housing and travel may be available if sufficient need is demonstrated.
- Applicants must be full-time, registered students at a College or University at the time of application submission and applicants must not be eligible to graduate prior to beginning the SURF Program.
- Each applicant must have completed at least 1 year of coursework at the undergraduate level and must have maintained a minimum overall grade point average of at least 3.0.
- Applicants must be able to devote 10 complete weeks of full-time laboratory research during the 2017 summer program period (May 30 – August 4).
- Undergraduate students of an underrepresented ethnic background (African-American, Hispanic-American, Native-American) are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply:
- All applicants must complete the online application and upload all required documents listed below via the online application portal. Required documents include:
- A statement expressing applicant’s interest in the UF SURF Program.
- A statement describing any current or previous research experience the applicant may have had.
- A current copy of transcript from each college or university the applicant has attended to date (unofficial copies are acceptable).
- Two letters of reference from a faculty member, lab coordinator and/or employer, are required. The applicant can upload all letters into the online application.
- A résumé or curriculum vitae and include awards, honors, and publications. Please include the names/titles of those providing letters of reference.
Please make sure that you have all required documents ready to upload when completing the on-line application. Applications will not be considered complete until all required information and documents have been received via the online portal. The UF ASPET Summer Program Selection Committee will review only applications that are complete by the deadline.
Completed applications received by Feb. 24, 2017 will receive priority consideration. Completed applications will continue to be accepted after the Feb. 24 deadline and will be reviewed until all slots have been filled.
Selection criteria will be based on the applicant’s overall application, courses taken, references and statement of interest in the SURF Program. While previous research experience is not a requirement, preference will be given to applicants who have had experience in a basic research lab. Particular attention will be paid to the types of basic sciences courses an applicant has taken, grades received in these courses, an applicant’s research interest statement, and if the applicant has expressed the goal of obtaining a PhD in any of the basic sciences.